Saturday, August 28, 2010

Homecoming Dreams

Over the past few years it has become apparent that our high school's Homecoming celebration needs something new. I've tried adding music to the pep rally and I LOVE that part. It's the speaking that reeks. I'm a speech teacher and coach so I've been asked to speak at pep rallies fairly often. I've done a good job, but they don't ask me because it's such an honor; they ask me because no one else wants to do it. It seems to me that it should be an awesome time that everyone wants to be in on. Unfortunately, despite some excellent efforts by a few really enthusiastic students and teachers, a growing majority seems to think it's all a waste of time and we should just get it over with.

I've talked to quite a few people and we're laying the groundwork to fight this apathy. We're going to hit this celebration with music that includes singers, a rock band, and the marching band. We're going to get the school dancing and we're going to put it on film. We're going to show the world that we love our school and that we love each other. I'm sure we'll have plenty of kids who think it's stupid, but those are the ones who hate everything. We can't please them so we might as well have fun and extend the invitation. Who knows? Some of them might figure out that it's more fun to join in than to always look down on everyone else. I want to be inclusive and give everybody a chance to be a part of something fun and little by little we're getting more and more people excited. It's going to catch on and we're going to have a great time. Well, those of us who choose to will. I sincerely hope that's all of the school and even some of the community.

I guess I'd better continue with the limericking:

There once was a marching band drummer
Who thought wearing wool was a bummer
Still he beat the skins
Rocked the beat with his friends
Yeah, he was a true up-and-comer

There, to make up for my "vicious attack" on the professor's rhyming skills.

The Cubs had another bad year
Making fans cry in their beer
The faithful cheered on
'Till each game was done
Facing next year with no worse to fear

(I'm a KC Chiefs fan; I feel your pain.)

My doggy lies here at my feet
Waiting for her nightly treat
To my chair she's adjacent
And ever so patient
With a resolve as hard as concrete.

Time to reward the pooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment