Sunday, September 19, 2010

Magic Spells, Lessons, and Dancing

When considering teaching, I've always enjoyed the wizard metaphor. For me, the greatest magic spells are the ones that are the most memorable. So for the young romantic, the special gesture or surprise note that sticks in the mind of the one he loves is the most powerful magic. There's always an element of risk as well because spells like that can just blow up in your face and burn you to the ground with embarrassment.

Another obvious parallel is the teacher who takes a risk to reach some students. Tomorrow is the beginning of Homecoming Week, a time when at least some of us go out on a limb to celebrate with the students. I know I'll be laughed at tomorrow, but it's all in good fun. I'm particularly lucky that my son is so cool about accepting the embarrassing things I do. Some kids would be mortified by a parent who is a teacher who participates in the goofiness of Homecoming. Lucky for me, the professor just has fun with it. In fact, he's in on some of it. He'll be playing the keyboard at the pep rally.

I, on the other hand have to start "the dance." That's right. An old, bald, bearded man will step onto the gym floor and start the dancing. I won't be alone; the dance and drill team will join in and so will the cheerleaders, but the hundreds of others, including students, teachers, and even administrators could very well back out. I guess it's the risk that provides the adventure and whether they join in or not, it will still be one of the most memorable times at the school for many students. That's a spell worth casting.

Years from now they'll say, "That guy was crazy." And if they smile and laugh when they do, then the spell will be an obvious success. Don't you want people to smile when they remember you? I think it's worth the risk of a little embarrassment, and it's just going to be so much fun, even if it's just me and the girls. There's a country song called "I Hope You Dance" that I often think of when I'm afraid of being embarrassed. It reminds me that dancing and living with embarrassment or ridicule is so much better than sitting there, wishing you had the courage to go for it. I want my students to have that kind of courage and so, in the spirit of Bob the Tomato I say, "It's for the kids," and jump right in. I know I won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment