Monday, July 26, 2010

Listening to the Cosmos, or at Least the Radio

I'm turning 45 tomorrow, or as my OLD Dad would say and has said, "half way to 90." I swim in the morning and the pool has been closed for maintenance for the past two weeks. So, trying to get back into shape is a delicate process for an old guy who's half way to 90. My back stiffens up pretty regularly now and everyone says you've got to stretch more. That's good, because swimming helps with that.

So I show up at the pool and go to the locker room. I have a little habit of listening for messages from God in the songs on the radio. As I prepared to swim, the song was "You Had a Bad Day." I like the sound of that song, but I hate it when they play it in the morning. I think, "Come on, give me a chance first." When I hit the water, it was "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." Okay, I had to laugh. I could go negative with the line, "Losing everything is like the sun going down on me," or I could go back to that whole listening for God idea. Corny, right? What if God was saying, "Don't forget Me today"? I liked that interpretation and, after all, we get to choose our own interpretations. That's the one bit of life we have control of. We can't choose what happens to us, but we can choose how to take it. I decided God wanted me to keep Him in mind and I giggled. I finished my swim and while I was driving home Supertramp was singing "Give a Little Bit." I've never really listened to the words to that song, but today the line "I'm goin' home," just popped out. It was a small thing, a bit of synchronicity that added order to my little world.

Hey, I know it's not all about me, but it is nice to feel included by the cosmos now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment