Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Songs: Pictures in My Mind

I don't find near enough time to write, but occasionally, like in the Summer, I have a little time to devote to just thinking. When inspired I like to channel my creativity into writing songs. I love the ancient image of the bard who served as teacher, historian, poet, entertainer, musician and possibly more. So most of my songs deal with real people and either their stories or the effects they've had on those around them. For me, playing an old song I've written brings back memories as effectively as going through a picture album. I have several sets of friends who got married within a few years of each other. Then they started reproducing and we had baby-parties every year for a while. I'm still behind on baby songs, but the only reason I remember all those names is because I wrote songs for them. I'm terrible with names, but I'm not bad with lyrics, so it's a memory aid for me. It's like taking pictures in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment