Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Technology; Making Life Easier?

I'm not stupid, but my talents are not technology-based. I enjoy creativity in music and wordplay and abstract thinking, but the world is more and more about who can find the quickest computer solutions. I have always been a slow thinker and a slow worker. It's my knowledge retention and my creativity that make some people think I'm smart, because when intelligence is measured in terms of speed, I don't appear very smart. There are many kinds of intelligence and just lately the skills of manipulating computer applications have become the more valorized form. I must admit that makes me jealous because it's not my realm.

Now I'm not trying to whine here; I know that this is the wave of the future and I am doing my best to keep up. I took two Web 2.o classes this Summer and I still become easily frustrated because things don't go my way very often. I want to keep my students interested with some of the best new computer tools, but I don't want to waste class time with a lot of glitches that I can't solve on my own. I know I can't avoid all problems, but I do need to develop a level of confidence in a few more computer applications. I know my literature, but I need to facilitate student learning with the most effective tools.

Okay, it sounds like a lot of buzz words, but it amounts to this; I've become an old dog in the field. I still have plenty to contribute, but my talents are less valorized now and I need to keep changing with the times. It's both difficult and frustrating, but I'm not alone. Many teachers feels the way I do, and almost every techno-geek I've ever met has been willing to help. It's humbling, but necessary to keep seeking help and keep taking risks. That's what we ask our students to do. It's also important to remember how valuable our individual talents are, whether they are the most valorized or not. That's a good lesson for students and teachers alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment